Saturday, August 22, 2009

Week 5: Web Metrics and Marketing Research, 3

Quick comment on the "Brief History of the Internet" video. It filled some gaps in my understanding of things rather nicely, including its origins (I didn't know about ARPA) and the relationship between the web and the internet. It was also funny to learn that its original name was the Intergalactic Network - ok, maybe it's mostly terrestrial deployment is one area where the internet has not yet exceeded apparent expectations, but it's good to aim high.

Mostly, though, I was really fascinated by the predictions of the net in 2020. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff, and it reminded me of long bets, a fun site where people (famous and otherwise) make big bets about speculations on the distant future. I was just looking at it and noticed that one bet from 2002 has paid off:

In a Google search of five keywords or phrases representing the top five news stories of 2007, weblogs will rank higher than the New York Times' Web site.


Good call.

p.s. It also appears that Ted Danson's bet on the Red Sox paid off.

No comments:

Post a Comment